22 July, 2017

So Come What May

Ha. I love this picture. One of the few temple pictures we took in Nauvoo during our trip in June/July -- I will someday blog about it! But here is the proof - we went!
You may have read in an earlier post that we abandoned bedtimes for the summer.

They were staying up really late - like 10 - for a few nights but just started crashing from exhaustion so we start prepping for bed earlier now and get them in usually before 9.

BUT poor Kjel and Will have been absolutely struggling for several weeks to fall asleep. They constantly get up and climb around their rooms like monkeys and come downstairs for water... you seasoned parents know what I'm talking about. Thank heavens we are not frustrated by it (Gage was a wonderful first child - he gave us many, many trying experiences and we learned SO MUCH PATIENCE with him). BUT it does make us feel for them that they can't sleep.

Solution = Steven or I lying with each of them until they fall asleep.

So we take turns - one night with Kjel, one night with Will.

Will is easier, I think. He just rolls over and dozes off within a few minutes.

Kjel is sneakier... she will act like she's falling asleep, but keep herself busy drawing with her fingers or playing with her hair. I'll think she's almost asleep, and then she'll say, "MOM! I want us to go to Sweet Frogs on a special date tomorrow!" And I'll realize - she's not even close!

So we sing and sing and sing. Usually it takes at least 15 songs to get her down. I really love that time with her.

Lately I have been singing Sacrament hymns. In our church, we reserve our more sacred songs about Christ for singing right before the ordinance of the Sacrament (communion, I think is what some other churches call it). Those hymns are beautiful, so beautiful, and the perfect lullabies.

My favorites:

As Now We Take the Sacrament
"The way to Thee is righteousness, the way Thy life was spent"
"As now we praise Thy name with song, the blessings of this day will linger in our thankful hearts, and silently we pray for courage to accept Thy will, to listen and obey" (That line is where we got this year's Family Motto from)

 God Loved Us, So He Sent His Son
"What debt of gratitude is mine that in His suffering I have part, and hold a place within His heart."

 There is a Green Hill Far Away,
"We may not know, we cannot tell, what pains he had to bear, but we believe it was for us he hung and suffered there."

 and In Humility, Our Savior.
"Let me not forget, Oh Savior, thou didst bleed and die for me!"

That last one from In Humility makes my soul sing every single time - that is my prayer and most sincere pleading every single day - don't let me forget. When I forget, I make dumb choices, I choose to be ungrateful and entitled, I judge and speak unkindly, I am not patient. But when I remember the Savior, I am good and kind. And I am quick to ask for help through vocal prayer. My kids think I'm crazy but it's okay - in the middle of a stressful moment I will say out loud, "Oh, Heavenly Father, I really need help right. this. second. Give me so much patience that I LOVE this moment."

And the miracle -- it happens.

That is the truth about the Savior and his atonement - that every single moment, every experience, can be made right and for our good. Life, with all of the heartache - seen and unseen - all of the pain, depression, disappointment, tragedy, fear, and grief (and everything else) can STILL be good and magical.

I don't write so often on these posts "life is good" because I have a perfect life. "In the quiet heart is hidden sorrows that the eye can't see." ALL of us have those quiet sorrows that one or two people or no one knows about -- they hurt. They do. And give us moments of real despair and darkness. But the Son came willingly, and he died for us. Because he loves us and wanted to give us life "more abundantly". He has done that for me. And as I come to him, I accept this most precious gift.

"I belive in Christ, so come what may."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...