18 February, 2017

Favorite Recipes: Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

A few years ago I started using this blog as digital storage for both memories and practical things, like recipes. The problem was, I thought recipe posts were boring, so I stopped.

But the thing is, I want to have a record of these family-favorites. So boring as they may be, I'm going to try to take some time every now and then to post a favorite recipe or two. Hope you will bear with me! 




This one is maybe my favorite food, ever. Ha. But really. It's my favorite stuff-around-the-house food. Last year, our friend Jessica Olsen made the yummiest version of this soup I'd ever had. I kept meaning to make it last winter but never got around to it (pregnancy will do that to you). Then, a few days ago I woke up craving it. So weird. Nothing else sounded good. So I rounded up the ingredients and scoured my inbox for the recipe. Couldn't find it! So I mashed up some recipes I found online and went for as-basic-as-possible. Let's call it culinary minimalism.

And it turned out exactly as I had been craving it. Love it when that happens.

Brooke's Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Sauté one bunch of celery and about 3 cups of baby carrots and one onion (all diced) in about 2 TBSP olive oil

While veggies are sautéing, cook a box of wild rice mix on your stovetop according to directions (you can use other kinds of rice, but wild rice is my favorite because of the fun textures AND the yummy spice packet).

When veggies are mostly soft, pour in 3 cups of chicken or vegetable stock, and a few hefty shakes of salt and pepper, cover and allow it to simmer.

When rice is ready, pour it into the pot and keep simmering. The rice will thicken up the soup and make it a really tasty texture. Add as much cooked, shredded chicken as you want.

Right before serving, pour in about 1 cup of heavy cream. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve!

Easy and tasty and pretty healthy. And gluten-free, for you GF friends.

This is best served at about 8:30 PM when the babies are in bed, all of the laundry is folded and put away, there is a pretty snow storm outside, and your husband is giving you the foot rub of your dreams. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...