02 November, 2016

Three Things

Sushi date with Kjel on Saturday. She only likes "clean sushi" (no soy sauce). 

  • My grandpa told me that one of the things he and my grandmother tried to do for their children, was to always invite one or two to come with them on outings to run errands. I have loved taking that advice and having more focused time with each kid. I don't really leave by myself much, but on Saturdays or when Steve gets home earlier than planned, I love to go put it in practice. Tonight his appointments rescheduled, so he was home before six. I had to go buy baby food and gorilla glue, so Will and I went to Wegman's (which - future posterity - there is no McDonald's on Taft right now, but they are supposedly building one soon. Darn it.) It felt so fresh and bright to be alone with Will at the store. He is learning colors now, and points to everything saying, "This gween? This red?" I love it. He also recognizes Christmassy things and will point and say, "There's Christmas!" 

"Please let her sleep in my room, in my bed," asks Kjel, every night. "When she is two," we say.

  • If you are feeling uninspired in the dinner-making department, maybe try this: on the days that I really, really don't want to cook, I make stir-fry. My whole family loves it and it's an easy dinner to make, and to make special. I start rice on the stovetop and if I'm feeling it, I first add some olive oil and minced garlic to the pot then when it's starting to smell nice and garlicky, add the water, rice and cook it. Then I put a combo of veggies in my wok with oil (right now I have lots of avocado oil but any other kind works) with a splash of soy sauce. The veggies I used tonight were broccoli, left-over green beans, carrots, and a red pepper. I dice some chicken from my freezer (if your chicken is frozen, stick it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then dice it. I think it's easier to cut up partially frozen chicken than fresh chicken). Add it all in there, stir, and let it cook. 



This is what makes it special: I love to make sauces because my family gets extra excited and it makes the dinner seem fancier. Tonight I did teriyaki sauce. I am never very precise in my kitchen, so sorry for the ambiguity:

Teriyaki Sauce:

In a small pot add about 1/4 C soy sauce, and 1/2 water. Stir in about 1/4 C brown sugar and a spoonful of minced garlic. Put on medium heat, and add two big spoonfuls of corn starch. Stir with a whisk and cook until it starts to boil. It will be thick at this point, so just put it on your warmer and serve when everything else is ready.

We also do sweet and sour sauce (put in 1/2 C pineapple juice and a splash of vinegar in addition to the teriyaki sauce recipe and don't add any brown sugar).

Mani Pedi for Kjel


The possibilities are endless! We love honey-balsamic sauce, garlic sauce, and Thai peanut sauce. And they are all THAT easy. I promise!


2nd manicure of the week! This is right before we spilled the Cinderella Blue polish all over the floor. Ha.


  • And finally, lots of pictures of Kjel today because she has needed lots of love lately. She got her first haircut on Saturday. It took me all morning to convince her to let me just snip off about an inch. Her hair was always tangly and though I loved those baby curls, they had grown a whole lot in the back and not much in the front. I believe that is called a mullet. She let me give her a trim and it has been wonderful for all of us! The bath is no longer a place of torture, and she doesn't run screaming when I tell her it's time to do her hair. Life is good! 




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why it says my name is "e" haha this is az.
    I Laughed out loud when i read, "i believe that is called a mullet." hahaha you crack me up! Miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...