19 February, 2016

Putting Princess To Bed






Tonight I felt impressed to stay with Kjel until she was asleep. We have a pretty good routine down with her for bedtime (three books, lights out, one story, three songs, kiss, night-night). While I was turning off the light and climbing back into bed with her (it really is a climb... did I mention I'm seven months pregnant?) she told me that she's afraid of the dark.

"I'm scared of the windows at night. Are you ever afraid, Mommy?"

"Yep, sometimes."

"When you were a little girl?"

"Yes, and also when I'm a mommy. But do you know what I do when I'm afraid?"

"What?"

"I say a prayer. Do you want to say a prayer?"

I couldn't hear her because when she prays she uses this high, tiny voice that only she and one other being can hear. But it was sweet.

Then I told her a story, then she told me a story, then I sang. Then I just felt like I should stay, so I curled up next to her and sang quietly until she fell asleep.

There is no joy on earth that compares with being a mother. I am certain of it. I don't care what anyone says about motherhood being unfulfilling in the day-in-day-out stuff. Wiping noses and bums and all that... pennies compared to the daily fulfillment that comes in their smiles, prayers, and warm little hands and cheeks at bedtime.

I love my boys with all of my soul, (boys when you read this, I LOVE YOU!) but Kjel is my little kindred spirit. She brings my life full-circle in many ways. I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...