10 April, 2015

Nightly Routine


Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, I have church meetings. Thursday evenings, Steven has a church meeting. Monday and Friday are hit or miss when it comes to Steven's work schedule, as he often has appointments with clients who can only meet when the official workday is over.

So on the occasional Monday/Friday when he is home at bedtime, and of course on the weekends, this is our routine:

Finish up dinner (on Mondays we have dinner early so that we can have FHE before bed) around 6:00.  We have family prayers, scripture study, and usually sing a hymn. That's one thing we rock at.

I clear the table and play with Will while Steven takes the two big kids upstairs to brush teeth, say personal prayers, get jammies on, go pee, etc.

Steven plays wildly with the kids for a few minutes, then tucks them in their bunk bed and tells them a story and sings a song. They come downstairs an average of  4.7 times per night. ;)

I start getting Will ready for bed (put on jammies, change diaper, give him a small snack) and bring him upstairs to nurse in his room. I usually forget to fill up the big water jug that attaches to his humidifier so part-way through our nursing session, Steven quietly comes in, brings it downstairs, then brings it back up.

While I'm putting Will down, Steven comes downstairs. He does the dinner dishes, sweeps the floor, and keeps taking the kids back upstairs.

When Will seems sleepy, I lay him down and sneak out of the room. I come downstairs and turn on the monitor. If he cries for very long, Steven or I go back up and put him down again.

We take turns bringing the kids back upstairs and tucking them in, and by now it's around 7:30.

It's magical.

I know it sounds monotonous and probably terrifying to you childless folk, to condemn yourself to an evening of putting grumpy babies back to bed, but. It is magical.

I fall more deeply in love with Steven every evening. It's a fact.

I think he falls more in love with me.

I fall more in love with our kids.

I brush Will's sweaty curls out of his eyes while he nurses and whimpers, and I fish around in the dark for KJ's "pappy" (yes, I know we need to wean her from it, dang it) that she's dropped and refuses to sleep until it's been found. I help Gage adjust his blankets to the exact length they all need to be, and then tuck his toy minion in with him for the hundredth time (because it's usually minions fault when he hasn't fallen asleep). I remind Gage to think HAPPY (not SCARY) thoughts, I sing a few quick songs and close the door quietly, and it's all magical. It's so magical.

1 comment:

  1. John and I only get a couple nights a week together too, and it is so weird how wonderfully refreshing and delightful it is! Something about working together at place and with the people that matter most to us. Thanks for sharing, you all are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...