24 July, 2014

Lessons on Seasons

I'm learning to love the season I'm in, and it's been a long time coming. 

It's important to note that looking at other people and comparing myself to them only makes me wish myself away from my current season and when I do that, I feel like I'm starting on square one again, of this whole learning thing. 

I don't want to just do my life, I want to live and love my life. And right now my life is lots of wooden puzzle pieces, decoding toddler language, small but sure and sweet moments of romance when Steven and I have a second to express them amongst all the busy needs of our lives and our kids. I am learning to love getting soaked during each bath time, to sweep the same space of floor multiple times an hour. I'm learning to love how small bits of oatmeal stick to KJ's thighs and to the chairs, and seem to glue themselves on. I'm learning to let go of how much I thought I loved said chairs. Because in truth, nice dining chairs aren't part of this season. 

Neither is a perfect body (no time!), or a beautiful purse, or a perfectly manicured yard, or a car that doesn't have banana peels strewn throughout the back half. Learning about seasons is as much learning what season I'm in as what seasons I'm not in. 

This season is about listening and learning with my kids. It's about experiencing childhood all over again. It's learning what is a good thing to spend money on and what is not. It's learning how best to utilize the precious private moments I have with my husband. It's figuring out how to get deep sleep even when I know I'll get woken up twenty minutes after I lay down. 

Most of all, it's learning to love. Maybe that's what every season is about. 







9 comments:

  1. Ah I so wish I was in your season right now! And by then, I'll probably wish I was right back in the one I am now haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. I always love when you post, you have such a great perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By far one of my most favorite posts. I feel exactly the same way. You said it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't mean to delete my comment. Anyway, beautifully said! I am a pretty nostalgic person and sometimes that makes me long for seasons passed. I know that someday I will be doing the same thing about my current season. It's so important to love where we are at and soak up every moment of it. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I get down sometimes about how fast it's passing by. Love ya!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...