04 December, 2013

Book 28/100 | The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.
source


I bought this at the thrift store a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to pick it up. I finished it in a little over a day and when I read the interview at the end between the publisher and the author, John Boyne, I wasn't surprised to read that many people who had read the book had told Mr. Boyne that they had finished it in a day or two. It's just one of those stories that has no good stopping point - you can't put it down without feeling like you're interrupting something you really need to experience.

Like all stories involving the Holocaust, the details broke my heart. But I loved this book because the story was told from such an innocent point of view that I saw history in a new light and felt compassion for those I hadn't felt it before. The plot is haunting and it stayed with me long after I'd finished the last page. I couldn't quite swallow what had happened in the last few pages, it was almost too real to me, having a little boy who is just as curious and silly as the two main characters.

In spite of the thick sorrow that came with this story, I feel inspired to make some changes in my life. A major theme in this book is that fences exist all around us - fences that divide reality from how we perceive it. I want to become humble enough to remove the blinders from my own vision and see others and myself in truth rather than in my own perception. 
I would definitely recommend this book and I'm still trying to muster up the courage to watch the movie, though I'm not sure I'll ever get there. I've heard it's wonderful, but I don't know that I could get through it because I already know the plot and seeing it played out on screen might be more than my heart can handle. GREAT book, though. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this book! I haven't seen the movie yet, though, because I am a cry baby and I know it will just tear me up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...