03 November, 2013

Thankful | 3 & Book 24/100 | Great Expectations

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.

source
It all started one early night when the kids were both fast asleep by seven, the chores were done, work obligations met and Steven and I looked at each other, completely puzzled. But what do we do when we have hours of free time? Usually we have our nightly tasks that we complete side-by-side while we chat about the day and then lights out and it all starts again tomorrow - but that night was amazingly empty and we were giddy.

First Steven built a fire and I made hot chocolate on the stove, and then we changed into our softest pajamas. We knew that we wanted to just cuddle up on the couch and watch something life-changing on the computer, but we are extremely picky about TV shows/movies and after a few minutes of deliberation we decided to peruse some Masterpiece Classics and randomly picked Great Expectations.

I had read the abridged young adult version as a teenager and was under the assumption that it was a bright, happy love story and that Miss Havisham was the sweetest thing. And poor Steven was all ready for a light-hearted classic, too, because I'd built it up so much as just being so dang uplifting. 

NOT! Not that I don't love the story now, but during? I was like, "WHAT IS THIS?!" 

So of course I had to read the book and oh-my-gosh-oh-my-gosh I am in love with Charles Dickens. What a writer! My word! I could barely put the book down and Gage actually hid it from me on multiple occasions because I wasn't giving him enough attention ;). I fell head-over-heels for the characters - Joe! Biddy! The Aged! Herbert Pocket, the best friend everyone wishes they had! And of course Pip. You can't help but love him. 

Such a good book. And the Masterpiece version is really good, though I feel like it left out some really wonderful parts of the book. 

So.... I guess it makes sense to say that today I am immensely grateful for good books. I feel like every book I've loved is a part of me in some way. I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself, "What would ____ do?" Ender, Jane (Eyre), Hermione, Elizabeth, Watson, Fanny, Robinson, Edmund.... and on and on and on. Some of my closest friends exist only in books and I love that. 

Do you have any best friend/book characters who you consider friends? I'd love to hear who stands out to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...