30 November, 2013

Thankful | 29 & 30

Welp, this concludes my thankful posts. It was really good for me to focus on gratitude for thirty days straight. It opened up my eyes to the many tender mercies that I don't know if I'd have noticed otherwise.

We spent our Thanksgiving Day decorating our tree then eating dinner with some friends in Syracuse. It was a really fun, peaceful day. I'd bought a small turkey when I went grocery shopping last week since there were some amazing deals going on and so on Friday we made a small Thanksgiving feast replica and it was so fulfilling to have a thankful meal with the kids. Gage named practically every appliance and detail of the house as things he was grateful for and then listed every person I think he's ever met. It was tender. KJ babbled and then yelled, "BABIES!" and so I think we all know where her mind is at. Girl loves her babies.

Steven's Thanksgiving gratitude list is always poignant and strikes a chord in my heart like nothing else. I love being married to someone who just says how he feels without all the bells and whistles of trying to sound profound. It's refreshing and… profound. And my thankful list started with a bang and ended with a vat of stuffing flying across the room by one Miss KJ who just may end up the world's best pitcher with that arm.

Gage has been practicing writing a lot lately (huge change from two weeks ago when he refused to even attempt to write his name) and made placemats for each of us. Melted my heart!





Anyway, Thanksgiving weekend has been just wonderful. I love being with my family. Love it.

For days 29 and 30, I want to share with you my gratitude for my faith. I posted about it a while ago, but in case you don't know, I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons). I grew up with LDS parents, but truly converted when I was fourteen years old. I had an experience wherein I felt the incredibly personal nature of my relationship with Jesus Christ and since then I have continued (with ups and downs) to try to follow the teachings of my religion with as much exactness as a very imperfect person can.

I know that when I'm obedient to the things that I know are true, I feel peace. My faith doesn't dictate that good choices equal wealth and ease. In fact, sometimes I feel like when I'm doing my best, things are pretty difficult. But the most important thing in life, in my opinion, is peace of mind. And I am so thankful that I have it. I have lived on and off many times without peace of mind and my heck, it's terrible. But as I turn to my Savior and do all that I can to make choices that mirror His life and teachings, I feel immense peace.

I know that peace is available to all of us. I know that forgiveness and mercy are always available and that infinite, unconditional and healing love is flowing toward us constantly from our Heavenly Father and that all we need to do is be willing to receive it.

I'm thankful for the experiences I've had that have reminded me of this.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...