18 November, 2013

Thankful | 18 & Book 26/100

I know I'm behind all the Veteran's Day posts, but I'm very thankful for this country and the freedoms we enjoy.

I studied poli-sci in college and learned that rarely are the people happy with the current president - he's always blundering everything and then years later his accomplishments are acknowledged and the flaws and sometimes huge mistakes are seen in a different light. No less real, but in a less-condemning way. Anyway, I say this because I'm thankful to live in a country where friends and family can love or hate our leadership and can voice exactly how they feel. I'm thankful for the opportunities of growth that this country provides as well as the care given to those who need extra help. I'm thankful for beautiful national parks and sound infrastructure. I'm thankful for those who enlist in the military for honorable reasons and the families that sacrifice many dreams in their wake.

source

I love this country and I love that it truly feels like home. There is nothing like handing your passport over at customs and being welcomed back to the United States of America.

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.

I finished "Insurgent" by Veronica Roth - the second book in the "Divergent" series. Very good and intensely gripping. I always like the second book in tripod series the very most for some reason. Maybe because the characters are established and I still know I have one more left? I don't know. But I really liked it.

And I just found out that they're taking these books to the big screen! Might be too intense for me since I had to skip over some of the more graphic parts (pregnancy brings out the already-squeamish-ness in me even more), but you know, maybe not. I thought The Hunger Games movie would be too intense and it wasn't, so, yeah. You never know.

Anyway, I'm so lucky that a girl from church had all three books on hand to lend me one after another so I didn't have to wait in nail-biting anticipation for the next one - I'd definitely suggest getting your hands on all three before starting this series. 

1 comment:

  1. ugh. I'm waiting impatiently for my turn with #3 at the library. Although I read some terrible reviews on it so now i'm having mixed feelings. Still mostly looking forward to reading it though. Have you read the Looking Glass Wars trilogy? Very good fantastical Alice in Wonderland based books.

    My Wholesome Home

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...