12 November, 2013

Thankful | 12 & Book 25/100 | Divergent

On days like today (twenty-eight degrees… the doors of the car made a crackling sound when the ice broke off so we could open them), I'm thankful for the great outdoors. You know, the freedom to run in a grassy field or breathe fresh ocean air. Or eat handfuls of sand and dirt if you're KJ and that's what you're into. 

Not that I don't absolutely love being outside in the winter; I do. But snowsuits and mittens aren't quite as freeing as bare feet. I'm grateful for a beautiful world full of places to explore with all of our senses. 






I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.

So I finally got the first 25% out of the way, book-wise. The ridiculously optimistic version of myself keeps saying, "Keep it up, Brooke! You'll get to 100 before January!" But let's be realistic here, I won't. So I'll just keep reading along till I hit a hundred, even if it takes a couple of years.

Number 25 was Divergent by Veronica Roth. It started out as your typical dystopian novel and I had the same qualms with it that I do with most dystopian plots - the utter lack of logistics. But I was totally humbled in the second book because I was so wrong. This is probably one of the best overall plots in a series I've read in a long time and in my opinion, if you're needing a good ol' dystopian fix, pick this one up before trying out some of the more well-known and current books of the same genre.

I am now on the third and final book of the series and I'm increasingly grateful for the cooler temperatures which are, as you know, scientifically proven to be more conducive to reading instead of housework.

1 comment:

  1. I had written previously about a friend who has IC too. For some reason she was having difficulty contacting you. But if you still want to talk/email, her name is Margery Snook Schultz and is on fb; she said you can pm her there. Hope this helps.
    :)
    Also, enjoying your book reviews and thankful posts. Love the cooler weather... so much!
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...