11 November, 2013

Thankful | 10 & 11

This weekend my in-laws flew up to watch the kids for a couple of days so Steven and I could go on a much-needed getaway to Montreal. I think this is the first time Steven and I have been alone since we went to Mexico back in 2011. I just about died leaving my little KJ who hasn't ever spent a night away from me in her whole life (waaah), but both she and Gage had a wonderful time with their Nana and G-Diddy and barely even realized we were gone.

So today I'm thankful for my in-laws. Not just that they watched our kids ;), but for all of the ways they give of their time, energy, talents and means to show their love.



I'll blog about Montreal later, but for the eleventh day of gratitude, I am so thankful for road trips. Steven and I have spent so much of our courtship and marriage on the road, listening to Death Cab for Cutie while watching beautiful landscapes fly by. We've driven from coast to coast twice, up the California coast too many times to count, from Idaho to Nevada at least a dozen times, and up and down the east coast from Canada to the Carolinas to Florida and nearly everywhere in between. We've talked about everything there is to talk about, truly. We've slept with the windows wide open in a grassy field with cows as company. We've perfected the art of cuddling-while-road-tripping and have so many ridiculous tricks up our sleeves to make the car a habitat of perfection that it might be a little pathetic. Our relationship developed going seventy from California to Florida with no air conditioning during the hottest summer of our lives and we loved every second of it.

I thought having kids would damper our love of driving, but it's only enriched it. We're super lucky to have kids that love to travel as well, and I'm sure that makes all the difference.

I'm not sure there's a more content feeling out there for me, than twilight on the freeway with our favorite music, endless bottles of water, and two kids hypnotized by the sway of the trees and mountains that swish past their view and delight their little imaginations into sleep.


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the in-laws, but you lost me with driving. Granted my marriage wasn't built on it like yours sounds like it was. We hate driving. It takes too long to get anywhere. (roadtrip wise anyways)

    My Wholesome Home

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...