28 October, 2013

Book 23/100 | A Return to Virtue

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.


I've been "reading" this book since May - picking it up when I get a chance and highlighting pretty much every line. Such a good book, and a must-read for anyone who wants to learn how to (and then help others) live a virtuous, happy life.

My favorite line from the book was actually said by someone else:

"When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses? When the surf of the centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlasting family will still be standing, because it is a celestial institution, formed outside telestial time. The women of God know this." -Neal A. Maxwell

I know I say this all the time and it might sound less meaningful with repetition, but I love being a mother. It's what I was made to do. And books like this remind me of the importance in every moment of every day - folding laundry, paying bills, kissing owies and drying those wet, sad nightmare tears at two AM. It's easy to forget, while in the midst of things, that every action (big and small, menial or engaging) is sending a message to my kids and my husband. That message is that I adore them. When I remember that, I find so much joy in the smallest of tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...