03 September, 2013

Book 20/100 | The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.

This was one of those books that's been recommended to me forever and I've always given a non-committal, "Yeah, I'll have to check it out."
source
The title made it sound like it was based in the south during the depression and was about a bunch of old women in a book club. Which, I mean hey, there's nothing wrong with that! But I felt like I'd swam in the literary waters of such subjects enough times that I wanted something new.

I was so, so wrong and my word, when am I going to stop thinking I know so much?

It was NOT about a bunch of old women in a book club. It is a delicious, true, painfully attaching novel that felt like coming home. Reading it under my cool sheets while the rain swept over our newly-moved-into home was a slice of heaven.

While I was about halfway through my mom (the only person whose literary tastes I trust completely) mentioned that this is a book she'll probably read once every year or so because there's just so much to it. I had no idea what she was talking about - it seemed, while captivating and funny, pretty one dimensional. But the second half of the book opened my heart right up and I was so sad when it ended.

P.S., is this a movie? If not, I am certain it will be soon. I hope they cast Jude Law as someone in it. I heard his voice regularly throughout the book and can't imagine a film adaptation without it.

5 comments:

  1. favorite favorite favorite favorite book... one day i will go to guernsey island...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have really enjoyed blog stalking you. You are a great writer. I love how you can get to know a person through their blog. But I guess it's not really fair, because I've gotten to know you...but not vice versa. We need to change that. We'll have to hang out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha ... I hadn't thought about it, but I suppose I was hearing Jude Law as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha ... I hadn't thought about it, but I suppose I was hearing Jude Law as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i adore this book and on first reading years ago thought of Jude Law. Now I'm more of a JJ Field fan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...