22 August, 2013

Well,

this is what happened.

When Steven and I were talking about kids (long ago, while dating and not even sure if we liked each other), I said that if I ever had three kids I'd have a mom haircut. You know... collar-bone length. Respectable. 

This summer my hair got really, really long. I was on modified bedrest for a subchorionic hematoma from the beginning of May until the beginning of August. They discovered it at my eight week ultrasound and I swallowed back lots of emotions. We didn't really want to tell many people we were expecting because the looming possibility of having to undo that conversation was too heavy. 

And my hair grew and grew. No mom haircuts for me. No exercising, no breastfeeding (killer; KJ wasn't ready to wean), no picking up either child or anything else for that matter, no walking except around the house, lots of "no". But all in the name of hoping that the bleed would heal and baby Redfern would live.

And then, just as my heart was about to burst out of my chest from intense feelings of all sorts and my will was beginning to weaken,

"I don't see any semblance of a bleed."

"Does that mean it's gone?"

"Yes."

And I did a happy dance around the sonogram room and Steven cheered me on. And the tech looked at us like we were a little nuts, which I guess we are. 

And then we went to Alaska and in a fit of joy and decisiveness, I chopped off four inches of hair. 
And I like it. 


Number Three, you've always been a distant dream of mine that I was too afraid to realize, because I am learning how difficult it really is to bring babies into the world. I never wanted to imagine you because I was afraid you'd never come.

But you're the size of an avocado and apparently your gender is really obvious (though we do not want to know what you are! Let it be a surprise!) and I'm starting to let myself accept that I loved you long before I saw the flicker of your heartbeat on the screen. 

I love you. 

12 comments:

  1. Ahhh that is the best news! I'm so glad you and baby Redfern are doing okay - I CANT WAIT to see if it's a little miss or mister! Also...shame on you for not including an "after" hair picture in this post lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!!!! So very exciting! So happy the baby is healthy! I love you! All of you! All five of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, congrats! We are waiting for number three too! I have three weeks left and can't wait! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know you are well and you have another child (great grandchild for me) The only thing that bugs me is the evidence that I am growing older and it becomes harder to keep in touch much less close to all of you. Steven being kind of my namesake I thought might hang closer but such is like. You are such a lovely woman Brooke. Smart and sensitive. Steve is a lucky guy.
    G Grandpa Watson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best news ever! Congratulations! May the rest of pregnancy goes smoothly and no more scares for you or the little one! Love to you and yours. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic news!!! I am so happy for you. I love how you write, and I feel the emotion.

    And I bet your mom haircut looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found out the news, I haven't had much time to read blogs lately but I am SO HAPPY for you!!!! I can totally relate to this post and how you said "I am learning how difficult it really is to bring babies into the world". I will be praying for you and this sweet baby! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...