29 August, 2013

Book 19/100 | Anne of Avonlea

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.
source

It is a truth universally acknowledged that every girl who has read the Anne books by Lucy Maude Montgomery truly believes that the books were written about herself. That she is Anne. Amiright? (By the way, same with Jo from Little Women. Everyone identifies with her). I grew up on the 1985 Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea movies and can still quote them word for word ("Burnt them to a crisp in their beds!") ("Carrots!"). 

I guess I love this book so much because it validates parts of me that I sometimes feel are silly. It also makes me feel like life is to be laughed through and that all of my silly problems are so very silly in comparison with the beautiful world in which we live. Oh, life. Oh trees and sea and air! How glad I am to breathe you! Is something Anne would totally say and something I totally think, way too often, in true Anne fashion. 

There were certain phrases throughout the book that I underlined in trying to prove to Steven that I am Anne Shirley. 

"Well, I'm going to try my way first," said Anne, who had a fairly strong will of her own and was apt to cling very tenaciously to her theories.

She was an excellent target for teasing because she always took things so seriously.

One can't get over the habit of being a little girl all at once.

"Having adventures comes natural to some people," said Anne serenely, "you just have a gift for them or you haven't."

I think the world is as magical as we make it. I just need to remember the magic admist the bread-and-butter-type menialities of life. And reading books like Anne of Avonlea are the best reminders.




4 comments:

  1. "Carrots!" Haha Taylor and I loved that part. We've never read the books, but we loved the movies. We should all get together and have a marathon! I so badly want to be Anne with an "e", but I'm afraid I'm more of a Diana... :( But that's okay with me because you are Anne... so we can be bosom friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *LOVE* Anne of Green Gables! I've been reading it to the girls and Robyn is falling in love with her too. I figure that means I can someday leave this world smiling if only because I have successfully passed down a love for Anne of Green Gables to a new generation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, love! I got the entire book series for Christmas two years ago. :)

    To kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, you know what, I Love Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea too, the stories and the character that Anne is especially -- and relate to her as well -- yet I can truly say, if anyone I know is Anne, it is you. I think that's why it is so fun to be your friend. You attract adventure and see and create magic all around, not to mention getting yourself in trouble... Those times spent with you out at Girl's Camp, might as well have been times spent with Anne herself :) I had never thought of that comparison before, but it sure is a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...