09 August, 2013

Book 18/100 | The Hiding Place

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.

source

A couple years ago, my sister-in-law Whitney gave me a copy of The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom and John and Elizabeth Sherrill for my birthday. I completely wore that copy out while we lived in Ukraine. I remember reading it at least five times over the few months we were overseas, and often used it to help teach English lessons to some of our Ukrainian friends. 

Every once in a while I come across a book that speaks to me, one that is so completely familiar to me that I can't put it down. Obviously after reading this one a dozen times I practically have the chronology memorized, but even the first time I read it, I thought, "I know this story. I know these characters."

That's the thing about truth. Our souls recognize it and cleave to it and thirst for it. This story of a woman and her family during World War II is so close to my heart because it strengthens my faith, fills me with gratitude, and reminds me of the relationship that we are all capable of having with our families, enemies, friends, and God. 

There are so many lessons in this book, so many amazing stories that I would love to share with you but I think you'd enjoy it a lot more if you just read it yourself! I have an extra copy, so if you want me to mail it to you just send me an email.

Just to give you a little taste, one of my (many) favorite lines from the book:

"Whenever we cannot love in the old, human way... God can give us the perfect way."

4 comments:

  1. I love this book! I was giving a talk on gratitude one semester at BYU-I and asked my friends in my book arts class if they had any good stories or experiences about being grateful. One of my friends recommended this book and the part about being grateful for fleas.
    I'm so glad she recommended it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read it but your description reminds me of another book I once read and can't remember the name! I'm interested in taking your copy if nobody else has yet. I'll email you my address once I figure out what it is...haha I just moved and don't know it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading The Zookeeper's Wife now (along with The Return of the King and Miracle of Forgiveness). Thanks for that recommendation. The Hiding Place has been on my list for a long while, and I just ordered it. But I'm really hoping to finish the other three first!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...