05 August, 2013

Book 17/100 | Inferno

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.

Steven has told me about a million times that if he could be anyone in the world, he would be Robert Langdon, the protagonist in some of Dan Brown's novels. And I don't blame him; Langdon is the intellectual version of Indiana Jones and his adventures are always multi-layered and driven by art and history. Plus I love his personality. Dan Brown does an amazing job of making him a very real person with dry wit and the ability to not take himself too seriously. Do I sound in love? Because I kind of am.

source

Inferno was fantastic. I slurped it up over dull lamplight long after everyone was asleep, in the backyard when the kids were busy eating dirt, and of course in the early morning when I could grab a paragraph or two while shoveling applesauce into Kjel's mouth. It's that good. 

My favorite line of the book is in the epilogue:

Dante's poem, Langdon was now reminded, was not so much about the misery of hell as it was about the power of the human spirit to endure any challenge, no matter how daunting.

I mean, come on.

Whenever I watch a movie or read a book where it's humans versus something else, some kind of patriotism (but for the whole human race) usurps my whole body and I'm like "HUMANS! HUMANS! I LOVE BEING HUMAN!" I don't know, do you do that? This book made me cheer for us - for our spirit, our inability to accept defeat even when it's staring us in the face, and of course the ultimate sign of humanity: choosing to do the right thing when it is also the hard thing.

If you want to bury yourself in excellent writing, perfect imagery, and a plot that will have you stopping conversations mid-sentence and being like, "Oh that's great, but I'm reading Inferno right now and I can't stop thinking about the Hagia Sophia", then this is the book for you. 


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...