01 July, 2013

Enduring



I watched this today and had to share it with you.

It's hard for me to put into words how blessed I feel to have Steven. I know I go all gaga over him all the time on the blog, and for some people that can be really off-putting. It's just that I love him so much. In our five years of marriage, we have gone through some tough stuff - some of it I've told you about, but a lot has been in those trenches of very private warfare.

When the kids are asleep and it's dark outside and we finally have a second to really see each other and talk, I find home in his eyes and arms. The relentless bullet-dodging and cold, loneliness of the foxholes of late don't matter anymore.

Steven has become more than a spouse to me; more than the guy that gave me a ring and asked me to marry him. He's become my back-up, my partner, at times the commander who talks me through the fog when I can't quite see where to go. He intimately knows the battles that I'm fighting and loves me through them. When I  want to give up he carries me until the will to keep fighting returns. And when I'm ready to fight, he fights harder than anyone I've ever seen, protecting me and forging forward.

Can you tell I feel like I'm fighting a hard battle right now? All these war references. Jeez.

But it's where I'm at.

Anyway, I'm just trying to say that love and marriage and all that... sweet and good and romantic. I'm grappling with the right words, but what I'm trying to say is that I'd go through every depth of trial, I'd fight through every battle all over again, to be where we are right now.

In twenty years I'll read this and laugh a little, shake my head. Oh Brooke, little did you know. Little do I know what lies ahead - what heartbreak and joy and tumult and glee. The way I feel about him now will be magnified a million times.

But right now, I feel so full of comfort that I could burst.

I have enduring love in my life. How can anything else matter?

14 comments:

  1. Gosh darn, I was crying 30 seconds in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tal, me too. And every time I've watched it since then :)

      Delete
  2. Well said. Steven is a wonderful guy, and I'm so happy you have someone to get you through the hard stuff. Life can be overwhelming, and it's so amazing when you find that perfect someone who 'gets you' and is there for you no matter what. Wishing you peace and comfort through this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you're going through right now, I'm so glad you have him to support you through it. I was crying like a baby the whole time watching this, since I work in a hospital I am constantly wondering which one of us is going to be "the sick one" or the one that goes first, and how the other one will handle it. I'm convinced I'll be the first to go because I think Heavenly Father knows I wouldn't last very long without him there to help me navigate life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you see relationships like this first-hand quite a bit at the hospital.

      And I feel the same way - I (selfishly) hope I'll be the first to go. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  4. Isn't it so wonderful to be married to someone who can help you through life? I'm sorry you're going through some hard times right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! The best! And thank you, Susannah.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you're going through a tough time but I am sure happy you have your man holding your hand through it. It is sad when people can't appreciate the value of a good man or a good marriage, in my opinion if they find the praises you sing of your husband off-putting they are the ones with the problem not you! What a blessing to have a marriage like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paulina! It's so good to hear from you. Thank you, I feel so blessed to have the husband I have. :)

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to have someone like Steven during hard times. I love you and yall's relationship. It's love the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your perspective. And love Steven for who he is to you. And love you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...