30 July, 2013

Book 16/100 | The Shifter

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.

source

I ventured, yet again, into the YA section of the library to pick up the first book in the "Healing Wars" series by Janice Hardy.

The plot is interesting and well thought-out, but because of my usual prejudices against YA, I struggled with it. You know you're being silly when you force yourself to read a chapter before bed because you just have to finish the dang thing. But you know, I'm a stubborn reader, and I plunged through.

That's not to say it doesn't have some merit - the peripheral characters are sweet, the concepts behind the book are thought-provoking, and the writer definitely has an intense imagination.

But the ongoing made-up slang that I cannot tolerate (except when Orson Scott Card does it) gave me a headache, and the main character (think Katniss Everdeen except without a bow and arrow) was so incredibly cliche. I mean, come on. How many big sisters with tough personalities and a sense of responsibility for everyone around are these writers gonna write?! Let's get a new heroine. Maybe a little sister. Or an only child. Or a kid who actually has fears? Would that work?

So, yeah. I guess I'm saying that it was an okay read. If you happen to love YA fantasy, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I really need to just give up on young adult fiction! I keep digging my own literature-ish grave. But don't worry... I quickly buried myself in Dan Brown's new book and I'm almost done. Review coming soon.

4 comments:

  1. I agree about the main character! (Not that I've read this book) But since Hunger Games there have been a LOT of that kind of book. One of the things I love about YA fiction though is it's diversity of main characters. There is repetition, but I think there is just as much diversity. I also really just love fantastical fiction though.

    What's Dan Brown's newest? I haven't heard. I LOVED the DaVinci ones.

    My Wholesome Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel! It's called Inferno, if you liked The DaVinci Code, you'll love this one!

      Delete
  2. OK, this is going to be a long one:
    1. Have you tried the Percy Jackson series? They're okay. (I read them bc my son is interested and thought I should one up him, ie know what he's reading). The progression is good, and they are well thought out. NOthing on Harry though.
    2. Speaking of Harry; have you listened to the books on cd? They have to be the Jim Dale ones. It's like slipping into a warm bath on a cold day. My children love them too! Jim Dale also reads a Christmas Carol. Something about that British accent.
    3. I do love reading about your adventures, but I've been so out of sorts lately: in a foggy mess. So if I don't comment, I'm still "visiting."
    4. I appreciate your honesty regarding IC. I think talking about issues (whether social or medical) creates a sense of normalcy, uniting. There's comfort in knowing you're not the only one. Also, I can't stand doctors who have the God complex. It took an amazing eye doc who steered me in the right direction. She took my problems seriously and was able to push my doc into seeing my complaints as valid. There is some benefit to military health care :)
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine!
      1. No, but I will. My little brother loved them too.
      2. I haven't! But sounds like a good stocking stuffer for moi.
      3. Haha, okay. I'll remember that ;)
      4. Thank you! I agree about being open about things like this.

      Hope you're doing great!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...