15 July, 2013

Book 15/100 | Writing Jane Austen

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.

source


I loved reading Writing Jane Austen by Elizabeth Aston. She is one of those Austenites who writes sequels to Pride and Prejudice... something I normally roll my eyes at. But the thing is, this book is written in modern time with some of the same dry wit of Austen novels. The protagonist is a young writer who, after having some success with a novel, is commissioned to write a book based on a manuscript found of a first chapter written by Jane Austen. Does that make sense? Fun plot, lovable characters, and a few laugh-out-loud moments. Pretty much the recipe for a great read.

This book was perfect for rainy June days when Steven was out at late meetings and the kids were dozing. It made me like way depressed that I'm not British, but hey. What can you do.

I guess you can rephrase that sentence to sound more like Jane Austen? Upon reading said literature, I found myself rueing this simple truth: I am not, nor will I ever be, British. And yet I must find the courage within to live on, though I be purely and most boringly, American. 

;)

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha loved this post. I'm going to add this book to my "to reads" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! yeah, you should. It's a good one.

      Delete
  2. Aw, love! I'm with you on the wannabe Jane Austen's- but when you find a good one- oh, it is just a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your jane austen "voice" review. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...