19 June, 2013

Hell-O

Sometimes I get really annoyed with my own inconsistency in almost everything. When I was in college I loved to listen to lectures by Stephen R. Covey. In one of my favorites, he speaks about ranking the tasks in your life in order of importance and urgency. Like... paying my utilities bill = urgent. Reading a book to Gage without skipping a page = important. Getting up early enough to make a healthy breakfast for everyone = urgent and important. Obviously I've adapted it for the homemaker version of myself, but it works for any step of life. If you're a businessperson I'm sure you use some form of this formula to keep your life manageable.

Anyway, if you know me very well, you have probably at one time or another glimpsed my billions of lists. Daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly to-do lists, grocery lists, budgetary lists, big purchases coming up lists, people-I-need-to-write-to lists, meal lists... lots and lots of lists. When I realized how much more efficient I was when I made lists and organized them according to the urgent/important formula, I was like, hey this is awesome, and I've kept at it since.

Until this past week! I kind of dropped every ball and that's that. I feel like I have a giant rock in my brain that makes it so I can't really focus on anything outside of the most urgent and important matters. It makes me feel bad for my friends and family who I've passively ignored (please! I'm not trying to ignore you, it's just happening! I'm sorry! I love you!) But you know what I mean? I don't know if I've ever done this before.

It's weird, but it is what it is. I am hoping for some clarity by the end of this week or maybe beginning of next week. I mean, I'm hoping the rock in my brain will get a little smaller so I'll be able to focus on more. I haven't made a list in days! I went grocery shopping without one today and it was like really liberating. Just grabbing this and that, "oh we might need that", "oh, that looks good. What'll I do with it? No idea." Yeah... my kids are confused. I'm a little confused. Who the heck am I?

Gosh, I sound like a weirdo in this post. Here's to accomplishing the urgent/important and then saying to hell-o with the rest ;)

6 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just summer's fault that your brain is in R&R mode. I know what you mean about passively ignoring everyone...I really have to try to not be bad about that. Don't be too hard on yourself though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laynah! And yep, summer is officially here - that must be the culprit ;)

      Delete
  2. :) Oh I love lists! But my brain is slightly ADD... (Does that exist anymore or is it all ADHD?) I get to the store with my fat old list and all of a sudden it's like, "Oh look at this chocolate covered something or other" and I have to buy it. I ended up buying chocolate covered Ritz crackers that way; yeah, not so good. Anyway. :) It's just a moment that will pass... maybe. And if you never go back to your list making self... embrace it!
    (Although I don't recommend not making lists, because you become much more forgetful the older you get... trust me. My freakish memory is failing me.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Have you seen those chocolate covered potato chips? I've been so tempted to try them!

      Delete
  3. I've thought a lot about the urgent/important grid from Covey these last few years since I came across it in college. (And most of the time I feel like I live in that dreaded "urgent" quadrant regardless of importance... :) Even when you're apparently feeling stretched thin, though, you're still completely amazing!!! It's been fun to see you a couple of times this week. Hang in there and good luck with that "giant rock"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! You always make me feel a little better about myself :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...