29 June, 2013

Book 14/100 | Who Moved My Cheese?

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.

If we were looking at this goal from a stand-point of realistical...ness(?) we could probably deduce that there is a very small chance that I'll actually read a hundred books this year. But what the heck. Shall we shoot for the moon and land among the stars, as they say? I think so.


source

I finished Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Spencer Johnson a few weeks ago. I had previously read it a year or two ago (I know, I know... repeats=bad), but it's so good and so short that I just wanted to, okay? Plus, Steven has been reading it in the mornings before work to get pumped and I like being in sync with him.

If you haven't read it, do. Please. Send me your address and I'll lend you my copy. It's a good one.

To me, the message of the book is that the happiest people are those who a. realize that change is inevitable, b. stay vigilant in perceiving when change is about to happen so that they can adapt to it and c. adapt happily and enjoy the changes in life.

I have a lot of examples in my life of people who do this - my sister-in-law Bree and my mom both come to mind. They are the kind of people that, if they were on a train and the little route switcher thing came on and they started going the opposite way of where they thought they were going, would just laugh and say, "Oh, how awesome! I always wanted to go this way! What an adventure!"

Don't you want to be like that? I so do. I think I'm pretty good at adapting to change, it's just the enjoyment part that I sometimes lack in. But really, here's the thing. Almost everything changes. Knowing that, why would it ever make sense to not at least try to love change? If you don't learn to love it, then you'll just be miserable all the live-long day. Right?

For example, the delicious picture of cheese (which I love... oh my heck I love cheese) pictured above made my mouth water. But I am on a candida cleanse right now (long story, I promise I'll write about it though), and can't even look at cheese. Or be in the same room. Or think about it. Seriously. AGGHHKKK! It's painful, my need for the foods I can't have. And yet. This is just another change in direction, just another change that comes with mortality. If I can get to a place where I love and devote myself to every change, then tempting photos of cheese platters might not make me teary with lust (just kidding). 

Thoughts? Have you read this book? There are lots of different lessons that can be taken from it, I think. What did you glean? 

1 comment:

  1. OH Brooke! I missed this post, I had NO idea you talked about me lol. Thanks for thinking of me in such a positive light. You are so sweet... crossing my fingers for tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...