21 June, 2013

Banana Cream Trifle & Oreo Trifle

My brain is still kind of foggy, rocky and cold. Like England? But I can't withhold these recipes in good conscience. So here you go ;)

Our Father's Day was relaxing. We've had a lot of rain lately, which kept us mostly indoors on Sunday. Steven wanted "to just relax", so that's what we did. Some burgers on the grill, homemade fries, IBC root beer and a lot of reading doth the perfect Father's Day make.





Dessert helps, too.

This year I wanted to make personalized trifle desserts for Steven, Gage and my dad (who we were so lucky to spend Father's Day with!) I don't know why the desire was so strong, it just was. No ifs, ands or buts, I was making dang trifle!


The beauty about these layered desserts is that they are homemade as you want them to be. I loooove homemade pudding, but opted for store-bought this time around since I wanted to spend time with my love and not be in the kitchen all afternoon.

I will post the exact recipes I used this time around with the variations you can use if you want ;)

 Banana Pudding Trifle (for two) 

You will need:
- One box of instant banana pudding 
Variations: You can use instant vanilla pudding if you are not a huge banana fan. You can also use vanilla yogurt or Banilla yogurt (my fave). Or you can make your own vanilla pudding.

- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
Variations: You can use Cool Whip or the spray kind, but I mean really. Use heavy whipping cream. You'll like it so much more.

- 1/2 banana, sliced

- 2 graham crackers, coarsely broken up
Varation: Nilla Wafers work great, too!

Directions:

Make the pudding and set aside.

Whip the cream, and while it is being whipped, slice your banana and break up your graham crackers.

When everything is ready, layer into your mason jars:

A thin layer of crushed graham crackers
A 1 inch deep dollop of pudding
A 1/2 inch deep dollop of cream

Aaaand repeat! Top with whipped cream and a couple chunks of graham crackers.

Easy, eh?

You will probably even have some left-overs to enjoy!






Oreo Trifle (for two)

You will need:
- One box of chocolate pudding
Variations: Make your own chocolate pudding

1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
Variations: Cool whip, spray whipped cream, you know. The same as the variations above.

6 Oreo cookies, crushed

Directions:

Same as above. When everything is ready, layer into mason jars:

A thin layer of crushed oreos
A 1 inch deep dollop of pudding
A 1/2 inch dollop of cream

Repeat and you've got yourself a yummy, pretty dessert!


There are about a million different varieties that you can try, including using chocolate chip cookies, wafers, fresh fruit, cake crumbs, cheesecake bits, caramel sauce (as a layer).... it never ends! But no matter what, I think the key to a good trifle is lots and lots of whipped cream.

Do you have a favorite trifle mix-in? Tell me about it!

6 comments:

  1. Yum, those look seriously tempting enough to lick the screen! I can tell you right now Tyler would have opted for the banana and I would have snagged the oreo right away. He prefers the light and fruity and I, the rich and chocolatey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a perfect team you two make! ;)

      Delete
  2. Ohhh that oreo one looks so good! I'm not really a fan of banana but I would be all over the oreo one. That's nice that you got to spend fathers day with gage and your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super nice! And I agree, the oreo one was delicious.

      Delete
  3. Ok, yum. Steven is one lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...