18 May, 2013

Book 12/100 | The Goose Girl

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.


What does this photo have to do with my book review? Nothing at all.
I finally decided to take Good Reads seriously. My qualm with it is that I rated the book "Marley and Me" fairly high, so now they keep suggesting books about dogs and their owners. Thanks, Good Reads. I'm always looking for a good dog book.

They did, however, suggest I pick up The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale and I've had a few friends suggest it as well, so I grabbed it from the library last week.

As I feel about most fantasy, this book was good except for the liberal use of vowels in the made-up nouns. Gosh, such a pet peeve of mine. The main character's name is Anidori. I mean, seriously. That was my thing with The Hunger Games, too. I mean, Peeta? Anyway. Back to The Goose. Plot line was pretty good, I wasn't captivated but I wasn't repulsed.

If you enjoy strong female characters, fairy-tale romances and animals, you'll like this book a lot. I did pick up the sequel and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time to read. I'll try it out.

I started reading I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak and it was super good, but a little too profanity-y for me.

I'm headed to the library soon, so if you've read anything awesome lately, let me know!

6 comments:

  1. I read I Am the Messanger and loved it. However, before I read it, my aunt went through the copy with a white-out pen and cleaned it up a little. There were still some painful bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealous! Do you still have that copy? I'd love to borrow it from you if you do! And was it your aunt who lives in the DC area? We met her while we were visiting Steven's parents in Stafford. Small world!

      Delete
  2. I read that book some time ago but enjoyed it. Cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished the last of 3 in the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare. Really good fantasy/historical fiction, very clean! The Mortal Instruments (her first series, related, same world, different time/characters) are also excellent.

    My Wholesome Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess! Thank you! I'll add this series to my list. Sounds like my kind of read!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...