07 April, 2013

The Truth is...

Washing DC LDS Temple
I've been a little scared to share my religious beliefs on this blog. I've worried that I might lose friends because, let's face it, Mormonism seems pretty weird is hard to understand in some ways. I've worried that I might push readers away and lose opportunities to grow as a writer. Dumb reasons, really, not to share such an integral part of my life.

I just wanted to say this.

I am a Mormon - "Mormon" is a nickname for a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Why "Mormon"? Because we believe that after Christ's resurrection, he visited the American continents and ministered to those people. The Book of Mormon is a record of those people and 'another testament of Christ' (in addition to the Bible). I have read The Book of Mormon several times, and I have felt that it is a true book.

As a Mormon, I am also a Christian. I believe that we are saved only through Christ. I also believe that every single person will have an opportunity to accept Christ even if it is not in this life. Jesus Christ is truly my Savior and friend. He has done so much for me.

I believe in something called continuing revelation. Just as God placed prophets on the earth to be his mouthpiece in ancient times, He does today, too. His church was restored to the earth in the 1830's when a 14-year-old boy named Joseph Smith knelt down in a grove in Palmyra, New York and prayed to know which church to join. The answer he received was that none of the churches on the earth, currently, had the full truth and that he would receive further revelation as to how to restore Christ's original church to the earth. I know that Joseph Smith was the first prophet of the restoration.

I know that our prophet today is a wonderful man named Thomas S. Monson, and if you'd like to hear him speak, just click here. I feel peace when I hear him speak. I also feel strength. I know he is a prophet of God.

I believe in lots of other things too, like eternal families, the sacredness of our physical bodies, the power of the Priesthood, and more. And since I've now opened this door, I'm sure that I'll write more about my beliefs as time goes on.

I just want you to know that if you didn't already know that I know these things, I'm sorry I didn't share them sooner. This gospel has brought peace into my life. It's been kinda lame and selfish of me not to at least throw it out there, in case anyone wanted to know. Which, by the way if you do want to know more, I would love to tell you more.

I want to know about your beliefs. Do you belong to a church? Do you consider yourself religious/spiritual?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your beautiful testimony. Sure love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I think that Mormon bloggers have a responsibility to not hide our beliefs, and to act accordingly because when people know you're Mormon, they watch! I guess this is coming from a pet peeve of mine when Mormon bloggers put immodest pictures of them in a post or instagram their latte. It's a shame to not take advantage of the very small platform that bloggers have by sharing our beliefs and correcting common misconceptions.

    Of course, that isn't easy! The last thing I ever want to do is say the wrong thing so sometimes I just say nothing at all. You worded this beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this. I couldn't have said it any better. Hope you enjoyed conference weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie! I just visited your cute blog; what an adorable family! We loved conference, hope you guys did too :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...