03 April, 2013

The Best Spice

Every now and then, both Gage and KJ take an amazing afternoon nap. Probably once every two weeks or so. They fall asleep easily, they stay asleep for a long time, they wake up happy.  There is a short window of time right after they wake up when they're still a little dazed - they're not hungry yet, they aren't bored, they aren't anything but content. They want to be held and to sing little songs. I love this time with them.

I was so grateful that I happened to have my nice camera on the dresser of me and Steven's bedroom on one such day. KJ stretched and cooed while I opened Gage's door. He came trotting out with a lazy grin on his face. 

The sun was shining brilliantly through the window. These are the photos:










I love my life. I love it because every day is not like this. Most days, we are covered in sweat, pee, baby food, breast milk and tears by four PM. But there are the exceptional days when the stars align and we get twenty minutes or so of bliss. The hard work - the dinners that you slave over and everyone hates - the ripped books and ruined table cloths - the mastitis and migraines and stress acne - and allll the other stressful/painful/embarrassing/sad/pathetic/weird/gross things that come with, not just parenthood, but life, make those perfect moments, well, perfect.

The French say that the best spice is hunger. Both literally and figuratively, I couldn't agree more.

10 comments:

  1. I love when the stars align... My favorite "spice" is coriander... And sleep. (Since you asked!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, coriander. Sleep is good, too ;)

      Delete
  2. Love those days! Wonderful pictures --- you and your kids are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are precious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are darling. Missing each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics of you and your kids soaking in the beautiful sunshine. Nothing cuter than your littles snuggling each other AND you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! I love it when they are gentle with each other.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...