24 April, 2013

Book 11/100 | Pride and Prejudice

I made a goal to read 100 books in 2013 and I'm reviewing each one I read on the blog. A hundred is a lot so I am always looking for book suggestions. Feel free to comment with your very favorite books and I'll be sure to add them to my list.



My thrift store copy of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen became Kjel's favorite toy over the last couple of weeks. She dragged it around with her everywhere and chewed the binding into little shreds of paper (in a very thoughtful, scholarly way). 

It took me so long to finish because everything seems to have gotten extremely busy around here over the last couple of weeks, but like a true Austenite, I straight up wept at a couple different places and laughed out loud at Mr. Bennett's silly dialogue. What a good book.

I read that Jane Austen was such a phenomenal author because she was a great story-teller and problem-solver. Instead of resorting to crazy changes in the plot to accomodate the star-crossed lovers in her books, she found ways around the class system to allow them to be together in a respectful way. Interesting stuff ;) 

Naturally, I felt like Lizzy and Jane were my sisters (I always do when I read P&P) and decided that I Mr. Bingley and I would be best buds (if he were real). If you can get into the groove of Austenite language, you will love this book. 

8 comments:

  1. I love that book and of course the 6 hr movie. Good books are such a treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. For sheezy.

      Do you like the Kiera Knightly one too? i really like that one. I think they casted Darcy perfectly :)

      Delete
  2. I love Pride and Prejudice!!! One of my favorite books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susannah! I agree; one of the very best.

      Delete
  3. I loved reading growing up, and in middle school I decided to pretend to be a little more cultured than I was and Pride and Prejudice was the first grown up book I read. Most of it went over my head but somehow I understood what was going on and loved it. I've been wanting to re-read it all these years later to see if it has a different meaning now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I did that sometimes, too. I'm sure you'd love it now because the last time I read it was in college, and I got way more out of it this time than I even did then.

      Delete
  4. I confess that I have never read Jane Austen although not because of the language. Someday... Things are... well, complicated and so reading is on hold. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha. Jane Austen is kind of a big time investment, so i totally get it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...