25 March, 2013

This is your bliss.


Remember how I recently had a really bad week? (I wrote about it here and here). Well, Monday rolled around, as Mondays often do.

After our morning routine, the kids and I set out to Target for bananas and light bulbs (forgot to get the light bulbs, dang it) and then to the pet store to look at puppies (There were none there, thanks for asking). Steven met us there and took Gage to look at the rodents as they make my skin crawl and Gage so badly wanted to see a chinchilla.

Then two good friends and Gage's little pal came by to eat lunch and celebrate Mari's birthday and we chatted and the boys played and it was really nice to talk and to listen.

After they left and I laid the kids down for a nap and went about my afternoon tasks. And when I heard a little chirping cry from KJ upstairs she and I nursed and played while Gage slept on.

I lit a candle and poured out the train tracks and looked out the window for a while. And then I thought to myself, "Brooke, this is your bliss." 

The calm, quiet reassurance that I'm doing what I am destined to do swept over me like peanut butter on bread and I felt peace.

When people ask me "what do you do?" I stumble a little.

"Oh, well, I'm a stay-at-home-mom", "I'm a homemaker", "I have two little kids who I stay home with, but I worked as a legal assistant before and I have a degree in political science and I also used to do sales and I owned a business for a few years and... what was your question?"

Oh, what do I do.


Well, I wake up with my babies and nourish their little bodies and then I raise them. I keep our home clean and safe and smelling good. I make meals and I clean up meals and I facilitate imagination. I teach manners and I teach letters and colors and numbers and I answer "why" all day long. I break up fights and I kneel down and pray with my three-year-old in the morning and at night. I scoop legos out of mouths and scrub bathrooms. I rub Orajel on sore gums and I make beds. I organize. I pay bills. I budget. I read. I sing, a lot. I make rules and repeat rules. I pack diaper bags for library trips and snap stubborn carseat buckles. I tell bedtime stories and brush the tiniest teeth you've ever seen. These tasks sound menial and minimum-wage. But the truth is,

I don't cook and clean and watch kids.

I make my temple beautiful. I make life enjoyable. I nourish, I nurture. I teach. I love.

This is my bliss.

What is yours? Are you a parent? Do you love your career? Are you a student? Tell me about it.

11 comments:

  1. My days sound a lot like yours. My favorite is when I stop whatever it is I'm doing and sit on the floor and play with my boys. I love laughing together.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! I think people don't put enough stock into how wonderful being a stay at home mom can be. I'm so excited to do that once I have kids. I'm so glad it is your bliss. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evidently we had similar thoughts recently as I have several posts similar to this coming in the next week or two. Bliss is a beautiful word :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! I have been thinking about this a lot and wanting to blog about- I think you absolutely nailed it. Your love for your children is evident. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, exactly what I needed... right now. Thank you. Keep posting and I'll keep partaking!
    Well today has been "one of those days". The girls are getting over colds. Completely dirty... the house and the girls. Pb&j on their faces along with snot. I'm still in my grubby clothes, hair a mess, no make up, pale as can be with red cheeks. The house smelt of poop and Blakely had no pants on from her recent accident when the doorbell rang. Sweet Sister bringing me cookies. I am embarrassed. We sit on the couch to chat. Tinsley gets in a crazy silly mood... running around, jumping on the couch and shaking her butt while saying, "I'm shaking my bum bum!" I tell her kindly to calm down. She then comes over to me and "sniffs" my breath while I'm talking and then waves her hand in front of her nose and says, "Stiiiiiinky!" Repeated over and over and over. Trying to be a calm and patient on the outside when on the inside I'm crying/screaming. I ask her to please go to her room and play while I talk with my friend. She stomps up the stairs while saying, "I DON'T LIKE MOMMY!!!!" Blakely and her snot face (literally) continues to play without pants. After my guest left I went to go have a talk with Tinsley. She doesn't seem too sorry. Exhausted I put on a show for the 2 of them, clean up the house and then sit down and find this post. Thanks for reminding me that THIS is my bliss as well. Even though I forget from time to time, it truly is. I'm so glad that I found this post when I did.... its setting a different mood in my home now. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it felt good writing all that. Maybe one day I'll start writing on my blog again.... I just hope I can put my thoughts into words as beautifully as you do! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! Brooke, your blog is so cute and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whitney - I love your boys too. You are such a good mom!

    Susannah - Thank you! I'm excited for you, too :)

    Catherine - Ah! I can't wait! I will head over to your blog soon!

    Mary - Thank you so much. I hope that when they read this they know that I do love them.

    Catie - this made me laugh/want to cry! I can totally put myself right there. Oh, I hope you know what a good mom you are! And I also hope you start writing again soon, I miss your posts.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kailey! Haha, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness you have such a way with words. I have been bad at keeping up with sweet blogger friends like yourself, so I don't know what rouch patches you had last week...but I'm so glad you felt such a comfort and feeling of peace about your incredible job as a Mom. It's crazy how we can have one of the hardest but BEST jobs, and it's so monotonous some days and other days there's so much NEW...I can tell you cherish your role. I try to cherish mine too. I need to be a better homemaker (umm...messes behind closed doors and drawers are getting out of control over here) but overall I'm so grateful for the opportunity.

    Thanks for sharing a bit of your heart. Your littles (and Steve:) are lucky to have you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Haley! Motherhood definitely is exactly what you described. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...