22 February, 2013

Parsley Pepper Pasta

So you know how when you leave home for the first time you experiment with all sorts of different things because you're experiencing real freedom for the first time? I totally went through this, but I didn't experiment with alcohol or drugs. For me, it was pasta.

I grew up in a very healthy home. Like... flax seed, green smoothies, freshly ground wheat 'cereal', organic everything. And I LOVED IT. But when I went away and perused the shelves of the grocery store on my own for the first few times, my heart fluttered in the pasta aisle and I became a fanatic. We just didn't eat a lot of pasta growing up. We didn't eat pop-tarts either and I went on a major pop-tart binge while living with Tiffany who introduced me to all sorts of things, like boxed mac n cheese. ANYWAY. Pasta. I liked it a lot. Then I didn't because I had eaten it so much.

So okay my whole point is that I wouldn't be posting a pasta recipe if it wasn't awesome. So here you go. A recipe of mine own creation, from my kitchen to yours. 

Parsley Pepper Pasta

You'll need

Sausage (we used chicken sausage, medium spice)
Pasta (doesn't matter what you use, I don't think, but I used rigatoni)
Two bell peppers 
Parsley
Red pasta sauce (you can use the store-bought stuff or make your own. I'll put a recipe for home-made at the end of the post)

Directions

Brown sausage, and when it is almost done, add chopped peppers and about 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley. Is there anything grosser looking than un-browned sausage? Doubt it.

Meanwhile, boil pasta until it is cooked al dente. Drain and rinse, then put pasta back into the pot it was boiling in. Add about 1/3 cup of chopped parsley and red pasta sauce until the pasta is coated in sauce, but not swimming in it. Turn on low heat and keep warm.

When sausage is done and peppers are soft (I like 'em a little crunchy still), pour sausage/pepper/parsley mixture from skillet into the pan with the pasta. Stir together. Serve with a sprig of fresh parsley to make it look legit.
Like I said before, I'm not a huge pasta fan (anymore) and I actually don't usually like sausage very much either. But this was a winner.  Steven and Gage were in heaven because Gage is a connoisseur of all things noodle and Steven loves Italian food. And I actually liked it. Not too heavy or fattening, but filling. Yum. Let me know if you try it!

P.S.

Homemade pasta sauce:

1 can diced tomatoes
2 can tomato paste
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper to taste

Sautee onion and garlic cloves until soft, then stir into a pot with the diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir until warm. 

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...