30 January, 2013

Book 5/100 | House Rules + A little sickie day

Last night both Steven and I started feeling a little ill. We went to bed cautiously optimistic that today we would be feeling much better; unfortunately, we woke up feeling markedly worse. By the time the kids were up and fed and clothed, we were both feverish with a slew of other symptoms that made the prospect of doing anything but laying in bed both impractical and distressing. I don't enjoy feeling sick, but I do love sick days. Steven got the day off and we alternated between watching the kids and resting upstairs.

Chamomile tea and lots of water



Gage scored today; pb&j in bed is usual a big no, but as my lymph nodes swell, my resolve lessens.


With all of the laying around today, I finally finished House Rules by Jodi Picoult. It was a pretty good book, but I don't think I'd read it again. The reason I selected it at the library is because I've been interested in learning more about Asperger's syndrome, and the main character in this novel is a teenage boy who has Asperger's. I would recommend plenty of other books over this one, but if you are a lover of fiction and mystery, then you might really enjoy this.

One of my favorite things about sick days are the small traditions we've formed: for some reason the kids always get bubble baths, I make citrus-y juice in the juicer, we build a giant train track on the rug in the living room. I think the kids like sick days more than well days, and I don't really blame them. Mom and Dad both being home and too lethargic to not be used as a jungle gym? Kid heaven. 

What are some of your sick-day traditions? Any special food or drink that you crave when you're feeling under the weather?

4 comments:

  1. I always want homemade chicken noodle soup and sprite, movies, and being buried in pillows and blankets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never watch movies during the day. I rarely even turn the TV on but when I'm sick, I like to lay on the couch and watch a movie while I drift in and out of sleep. I love a good soup. :) Hope you both feel 10 times better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw feel better! My mam always used to make me honey lemon tea when I was sick, does wonders for a sore throat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...