28 January, 2013

Book 4/100 | Bel Canto

I "finished" Bel Canto by Ann Patchett a couple of days ago. I don't even know if I should count this one on the list... fine, fine. I will. Here's the thing - I loved it right up until there was some serious profanity. The whole first 3/4 of the book was great and totally clean. And then, BLEEEEEP. From that point on, I skimmed until the end because if you've read this book, you know how intense it is and I wanted to know how it ends. The ending was horrid (in my opinion) and I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.

My thoughts exactly, Gage.
I'm a little down in the book department because right before Bel Canto, I attempted to read The Smile by Donna Jo Napoli but I couldn't get past the awful dialogue, poor use of commas, and gross historical inaccuracies. 

So now I'm reading a Jodi Picoult book. I'm not a huge fan of her writing - I feel like she tries too hard - but I wanted to branch out of my literaturical comfort zone. So here ya go. Sometimes I feel like I should just stick to non-fiction, classics, and all the books I've already read. It's so disappointing to read something profane or boring or poorly written. This post is a downer! I just realized I haven't consumed much chocolate lately, so that probably has something to do with my overall demeanor. I will go fix that right now. 

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA .. this totally cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke! I'm sure you have a list of books you're trying to get through, but if you're worried about reading another downer, worry no longer! Let me recommend some of my favorites. I promise you can't go wrong with this list..

    Heaven Is Here - Stephanie Nielsen
    The Power of Positive Thinking - Neale Norman Vincent.
    Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand
    No Doubt About It - Sheri Dew
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
    Cheaper by the Dozen - Frank Gilbreth
    Wildwood Dancing - .Juliet Marillier

    These are two I'm currently reading. Both nonfiction and fascinating.
    In The Garden of Beasts - Erik Larsen
    Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China - Jung Chang

    And these are two that my mom has highly recommended that I'm planning to read soon.
    The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
    Something Beautiful for God - Malcolm Muggeridge

    Let me know what you think!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going with the aforementioned Heaven is Here. Very uplifting read, finished it in less than 24 hours.
    I think I may jump on the reading 100 books bandwagon; however, I'll only do 50 as this year requires a move and lots and lots of mental stress. (I have the ability for foresight... have I not mentioned?) ;)
    Thanks for the laughter...
    OH, another recommendation, that is on my have-not-got-to list, Mans Search for Meaning, written by Viktor Frankl.
    signing off...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ew. I swear, I can't read or watch anything with profanity because it sticks to my brain and next thing I know, I'm cussing the next time I get mad! Then I feel awkward because that's not me haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whit, thank you!!!

    Katherine, that is one of my very favorites. Let me know what you put on your list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...