19 January, 2013

Book 2/100 | Persuasion

So I re-read an old favorite, Persuasion by Jane Austen. This is by far my favorite of hers, and as you can see by the picture (I finished it this morning in bed while KJ was still asleep and the boys were eating breakfast), I love the ending. I got a little teary with the line, "I must learn to brook being happier than I deserve". Oh, Captain Wentworth. I love you. I love Anne, the protagonist, too. She reminds me of my little sister Sierra.

Nothing better than spending a Saturday morning in bed with a book.

So that's two out of a hundred. On the docket is The Hobbit, Blink, and then I'm going to look into a few of the recommendations you gave on my last post (thank you!).

Weird story about this book - I bought this copy at the local thrift store here in New York and while reading it last night, a book mark fell out of the last page and landed on the pillow next to me. I didn't really pay attention to it until I was tidying up later and just about jumped out of my skin when I saw that it was from Old Harbor Books in Sitka! I visited that book store nearly every Saturday of my growing up years in Alaska. And to think that this little copy of Persuasion somehow ended up in a thrift store in Liverpool. Very Jane Austen-ish irony.

Happy Saturday!

5 comments:

  1. hey! i'm the other brooke from AK :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was so fast! Go you!

    (BTW, yes! I am married to Matthew Crawley! I don't watch Downtown Abbey but apparently Matts character also got married recently? haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've been wanting to read that! Good to know you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool about the bookmark! Read the Hobbit and enjoyed it. Next on my list is Fellowship of the Ring... after Christmas gets put away... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...