08 May, 2012

38 Week Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

My mom is here! Wahoo! Well, not technically here at the moment; she had to go to Utah for some business, but she's been here since Friday and will be here for a few more days. It has been heavenly. She has literally tackled almost every project on my huge list while simultaneously making Gage the happiest child on earth (without the spoiling tactics I've been resorting to the past few weeks). I love her! 

Because so much has gotten done around here, Gage and I felt perfectly at peace with taking a mental health day (i.e., a get nothing productive done day). And it really feels wonderful to just get to spend quality time with my little dude without the company of "you should be getting more done" guilt. 

In accordance with my no-guilt activities today, we decided to make cookies. I love to bake; everything about it, I love. Except clean-up. But even that isn't so bad when you have something delicious in the oven. 


Instead of following a recipe, we made our own. After some trial and error, we created the best cookies (in my opinion, and I think Gage's too, though he thinks every cookie he's eating is the best cookie) ever. Here is what I was aiming for: something dense, rich, chewy, fluffy, chocolatey, with hidden surprises for the taste buds. Oh my word, did we achieve it!

Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup softened butter (you could actually reduce this and be just fine. I will probably go with 1/2 cup next time)
1 cup(ish) of brown sugar
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- cream these together, then add:
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 TBSP cocoa powder
I forgot to add salt.. teehee. They tasted fine anyway. But next time I'll probably add 1/4 tsp. salt

After it's all mixed together, start adding flour, 1/4 cup at a time. I ended up using about 2 cups.

Add chocolate chips, I used a little over a cup.


Drop rounded spoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 9 minutes. These won't look quite done, but they will set perfectly if you put them in for the right amount of time. If you do a trial of baking just one or two cookies and experiment to find the perfect baking time, you will not regret it! 

I was so happy with how these turned out - they are fairly crispy on the outside because of the peanut butter, but so very soft and chewy on the inside. Heaven! 


We declared them "38 Week Cookies" and then proceeded to eat 38 each. (Okay, I'm exaggerating, but  only a little).

If you make some, let me know how they turn out for you!

P.S., you will notice that Gage is donning his doggie costume: we watched The Avengers last night and he desperately needed a super hero uniform this morning, so I convinced him that Iron Man's best friend is Doggie Boy, and he has taken on this hilarious alter-ego that runs around barking and licking things while "saving the day!" 

5 comments:

  1. oh i just loooove get nothing productive done days :) im allready regretting reading this post because now i may have to get up off the chair and check out what ingredients i have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my. delicious!!!!!! and gage is adorable :) miss you guys! cant wait to come up soon! PARTAY! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these and they were great! I did cut it back to 1/2 cup butter and they were fabulous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Why are we not neighbors?! Baking is so fun and those cookies look wonderful. I wish you could teleport one to me. ;) Can not believe you only have a couple weeks to go. Ah crazy excited!! Love ya girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good. I used 1/2 c. butter (and maybe a little extra cocoa). Thanks! I'm grateful for creative bakers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...