15 April, 2012

Labor Mix


I've been compiling the perfect music for labor over the past few weeks, and have come up with this little (short) beauty, divided into two parts. The first part is for the time that I spend in active labor at home - music to pump me up and keep my adrenaline going so that I can be active and productive and help the baby along. The second part is for when I'm at the hospital and trying to stay calm and centered through the last and most painful contractions, before I start pushing.

Part 1:
Paradise - Coldplay
Human - The Killers
The Show Goes On - Lupe Fiasco


Part 2:
Till Kingdom Come - Coldplay
The Heart of Life - John Mayer
Holocene - Bon Iver


One might notice two things about these lists: they only contain like.. 12 minutes of music each and though I try to be an optimist, my labor will probably be a lot longer than that. Secondly, lots of Coldplay. I feel like I've been craving Coldplay this whole pregnancy.

I've had to be really selective about the music I choose because I don't want to have songs that I don't absolutely love or I know I'll get totally annoyed and the playlist idea will be counterproductive - that said, I need more music. All of my other music (and I have a fairly wide variety) just isn't right.

So please overload me with your favorite pump up music and put-you-in-a-trance-like-state-similar-to-Vietnamese-monks music. Thanks in advance!
Here are the youtube clips of the songs I listed above so that you get an idea of what kind of music I'm looking for:

Paradise

Human

The Show Goes On

Till Kingdom Come

The Heart of Life

Holocene (the best music video I've ever seen in my life)


Oh, and on my progress so far: I'm dilating, slowly but surely. The contractions are teensy, but pretty constant and I'm trying to help them along as much as I can.

8 comments:

  1. Have you heard of Gotye yet? My husband found this song and swears it's the most relaxing song ever - I play it a lot to get my son calmed down to sleep:

    Gotye - Bronte

    Pianoguys is another fav - I love their song Beethoven's 5 Secrets.

    The soundtrack for Inception is pretty good too - definitely intense in some parts, which fits pretty well toward transition! We have it if you want to borrow it - along with the DVD (watching movies can also be a good distraction). Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only song I know that you listed is Human ... glad to hear other good music. Can't wait to hear people's suggestions and to see your final play list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe you listen to Lupe Fiasco. I love that song.. Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been craving coldplay this whole semester. They never get old.
    I don't know what music you have and what music you hate...
    So here is a long, broad list to choose from:

    part 1
    Kids - Mgmt
    Dancing in the Moonlight - Toploader
    Hey Ya - Matt Weddle
    Where does the good go - Tegan and Sara
    Corona and Lime - Shwayze (clean version..there's a swear word in it)
    Pink Bullets - The Shins
    Dance the Night Away - Van Halen
    Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z ft Alicia Keys
    Sunday Morning - Maroon 5
    Boyfriend - Justin Bieber (i'm totally kidding)

    part 2
    sweet disposition - The Temper Trap
    Eyes - Rogue Wave
    See you soon - Coldplay
    Green Eyes - Coldplay (favorite-chris has green eyes)
    Sodom, South Georgia - Iron and Wine
    FM Radio - Joshua James
    Seaside - Kooks
    Blame it on the Tetons - Modest Mouse
    Let That Be Enough - Switchfoot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love paradise. I'll let you know if I think of anything you might like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. for your "pump up mix" try "Dog Days Are Over" by Florence and the Machine. Richard and I love this song and it's kinda a mix of chill and pumped up all at once. and for your chill mix try "Islands" by The XX. When I listen to this song and close my eyes I am on a beach in Bali sipping a delicious tropical drink and dozing in and out of a heat induced nap. I really have no idea if these songs are at all you style, but I thought I'd recommend them anyway. Good luck girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. for the "chillaxing" part I'd suggest these, they are pretty saweet.

    rolling down-freedom fly
    25, 25-Kings of Convenience
    a song for a lover of long ago-justin vernon
    new hampshire-matt pond pa
    heartbeats-jose gonzalez
    lullaby-dark mean
    birds-emiliana torrini
    goodbye england-laura marling
    boats and birds-gregory and the hawk
    falling through the roof-horse feathers

    ReplyDelete
  8. You dont know me and I just came across your blog and LOVE IT! I especially love the passive aggressive post above. I am expecting my second as well and have found myself being super protective momma bear and feeling like I could tell anyone off if they do something to my daughter so I loved it! I will remember passive agressive next time =). I also love that you are compiling a list of music for labor. My favorite cold play song is fix you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...