11 April, 2012

It's begun!


Montezuma, Costa Rica

My gloriously long labor has begun. I am just so grateful that I know more of what to expect this time around; with Gage, I started feeling crampy and had fairly regular contractions for a week and a half before he was born, but kept thinking that I was about to go into real labor any second. It was so exhausting, believing that in just a couple hours I'd be at the hospital with a baby (I didn't understand that labor can last weeks).

But now I do, and yay for me, I'm prepared.

The crampiness started earlier today, followed by pretty regular, sharp but not horrid contractions. Don't get excited! These could last for weeks before she's born.

The game plan is thus:

  • Stay super active -- at least one bike ride a day, no driving to anything that is less than 3/4 miles away until my midwife says to take it easy, though I doubt she will, as she is a huge believer in staying active right up until baby is born, to help her along and keep myself mentally ready
  • Reschedule appointment with my midwife to this week instead of next Tuesday
  • Stay really hydrated
  • Call Mom as soon as there is any (cover your eyes, men and weirded-out-by-pregnancy-stuff-women) bloody show and tell her to high-tail it up here (she's bringing my sisters up to watch the birth and I couldn't be more excited!)
  • Eat -- I get so nauseated with contractions, even the teensiest ones, that I lose my appetite all-together. With Gage's birth, I think that was one of the things that slowed it down so much; that I didn't have many nutrients in my system.
  • Most importantly, spend every possible second with my little Gage, spoiling him like Veruca Salt's dad spoils her in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, except not quite so destructively. But the point is, I'm feeling a little bit of nostalgia that my time with Gage as our one and only is coming to an end.

Anything else I should remember? Anyone out there have advice for me as I gear up for this natural delivery (insert applause)?

** Again, her birth could literally be a month away. I'm just excited that my body recognizes that it's almost time, and is doing all it can to prepare for her.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like you are SO mentally prepared for this Brooke! How very exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,
    You sound just like the kind of mom that I hope I'll be someday. I love your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how completely wonderful and exciting! I am sending you a million warm, loving, soothing, strengthening thoughts your way! and good for you for choosing the natural way! i probably don't have much permission to speak on the matter because I have never given birth but I am a HUGE believer in natural child birth and I completely intend to give birth naturally when the time comes for me to have a baby. (I am even going to go as far as to remove myself from any facility that offers pain relief because I know that I am the type of person that would cave and beg for drugs after my first contraction. I just think natural is so great even though I recognize and completely respect every woman's right to choose how she delivers her children.) I think that you will feel extremely empowered on your journey and I believe that all of woman kind from the beginning of time who have experience natural childbirth will be cheering you on in spirit! Good luck! <3 Can't wait to see pictures of that beautiful little girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You are going to do SO Great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO exciting! Even if she won'tbe here for another few days, can't wait to see her!
    Thank you so much for your comment and concern, we are doing good I will post more details soon. May you have a wonderful natural (applause) delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are ready! Can't wait to see tons of pictures of her!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...