25 January, 2012

Validation

A few nights ago, I had a dream where I happened to converse with my childhood (well, more like early high school) villain. It was someone I rarely think of but was absolutely terrified of for a few years.

In the dream I was young and scared and victimized until I suddenly remembered that I'm a grown-up now. Oh, it was empowering to realize that in the years that have passed, my life has become something that I am very, very proud of.

I can't remember exactly what I said to the person in my dream, but whatever it was, I walked away feeling good about myself.

When I woke up, I was a little shaky and teary. But for a few seconds of semi-consciousness in the dark-blue snow-reflected light of our bedroom, I realized that I will make mistakes today, but even with every mistake I will make, in the end, I'll be okay because I'm a person who wants to be good and valiant. I try to be brave and mature and I pray to have charity and to never take offense. That I want to be good and that I try to be good, means that each day I'm becoming good.

I am not who I used to be. I am so much better and so much more.

And I'm sure that you aren't who you used to be either; my mom is always saying that "people are in a constant state of change" - to judge someone by how you remember them (even if it was yesterday) is unfair.
Because I am better today than I was yesterday and you are too.

6 comments:

  1. Well said, thought provoking. Wise words from your mother as well.
    I hope to continually get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post Brooke! Couldnt have said it better myself. Change is hard but we're on this earth to better ourselves and those around us. Changing people's perception can be tough but I think eventually they will come around. LOVE what your mom said as well, very wise and something I could try harder to implement in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What maturity for such a young woman to be able to open yourself up like this and to share yourself with others--you are far older than your years and have learned some valuable things that are never learned by some. You bless me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, this is a beautiful post. Thank you for that message. I hope that I can remember this day in and day out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know we have never met (I found your blog through your sister-in-law at therhouse.blogspot.com), but I wanted to thank you for the post! It's a great reminder that I can be a better mom everyday :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...