12 January, 2012

Imitation Olive Garden "Zuppa Toscana" Recipe (vegetarian)

We've started eating almost 100% organic. I say almost because life would be way too expensive/complicated if we were totally organic. Some things are just really hard to find or so pricey. But I'd say we're at about 70%, which is pretty awesome.


A couple nights ago, I was craving Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana, but didn't want the fatty sausage/buttery broth, so I made my own recipe. It was really easy and super tasty (especially if you like garlic). Here's the recipe:

You'll need (to serve four):
  • 2 large potatoes, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • A big handful of something green and leafy and hardy - I used parsley but kale would be better
  • 3 big garlic cloves, minced
  • One can of chicken broth
  • About 2 cups of water
  • A large spoonful of alfredo sauce OR a splash of heavy cream and a sprinkling of romano cheese
  • Salt to taste
  • Red pepper flakes, a couple shakes should do it

Just start the broth and water in a pot or large saucepan on medium heat, add the potatoes, onions, garlic and spices and cover. When the potatoes are soft, turn the heat to low and add the alfredo sauce/cream and cheese (I used alfredo sauce cause I happened to have some in my cupboard, but either way would be good, I think). Then take it off the stove and stir in the big handful of parsley or kale, or chard would work, too.

{If you are a meat-eater, add browned sausage and/or crispy, chopped bacon when you add the greens.}

Yum! Oh, I also added a couple shakes of garlic salt in addition to the minced garlic.

We ate it with a really delicious salad - mixed org. greens, org. green onions, tomatoes and salt and pepper. It didn't need dressing - the veggies were fresh and flavorful.

If you try this recipe, let me know. I'd love to know if you enjoyed it as much as we did!

1 comment:

  1. Brooke this was sooo good!!! I made it for dinner tonight with some bread sticks (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=11745412).
    I did make some adjustments as I am on a dairy-free & soy-free diet. So instead of cream or alfredo sauce, I used some Almond milk. I also put in hot sausage - yum!
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us. It was a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...