14 July, 2011

you haven't come this far to fall off the earth.


do you know the song those lyrics are from? it's swim by jack's mannequin.



a family that we love is going through a terrible tragedy right now. this song has been on my mind for days. aside from the obvious things like prayer and love from my family, the lyrics to this song helped get me through some of the tougher things that have happened so far this year:

"i swim for brighter days despite the absence of sun" (this was the mantra i repeated in my head ad nauseum for days when steven was still in ukraine right after the last miscarriage)
"just find the horizon, i promise you it's not as far as you think"
"just keep your head above"
"i found a tidal wave begging to tear down the dawn" (ever felt this way?)
"there's no shame in drifting, feel the tide lifting, just wait for the spark"

"i'm not giving in; i swim"

so i guess what i'm saying is that if you know somebody who is struggling you might recommend this song to them. the lead singer of j.m. battled with cancer. he gets it.

{gage and i a few days after the miscarriage}


i try to keep the blog positive and light, and i hope this post is regarded that way - being happy isn't hiding or ignoring the sad things that happen to us.

it's allowing ourselves to grieve and then allowing the good things to fill the holes in your heart. as my sister-in-law told me, there will always be a little scar, but happiness can still be found.

what do you swim for?

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful song, beautiful lyrics, beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing, seeing a strong woman going through hard times gracefully proves to me that I can as well/gives me motivation to do the same. It's so hard to keep your chin up when all you want to do is fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had 'not' heard that song before. I love the sentiment of it...that no matter what comes along, you have to keep swimming, knowing that good is around the corner...even if you can't see it right now...Thanks for sharing it. I'll have to put this one in my stash...By the way, sorry for the rough time. Keep swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure JMs "keep swimming" is much more melodic than the one that keeps going through my mind: In Finding Nemo, Dora's advice to Nemo's father ..."Just keep swimming, just keep swimming ..." it's way more annoying to have that go through your mind than an entire beautiful song, but many, many times I've had that pound into my head and it's helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm glad you're finding peace and strength to keep swimming, it's hard but not imposible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to hear that, but thankfully we have music to comfort us and to know that we have ups and downs but we can swim through it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post.

    And love this song. I am making this my Sunday post this week and linking to you.

    XO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...