i am a big fan of easy, cute hairstyles and joanna goddard and recently read this post, wherein she did the exact thing i'm about to do - tutorialized the adorable side pony that is both classy and simple.
if your hair is fine and straight and lacks bounceability, you should follow the instructions on a cup of jo, however, if your hair is thicker and coarse, like mine, then my instructions which are a little different than joanna's should suffice.
1. the day after you've washed your hair, keep it unwashed, and blow-dry it upside down to give it a little extra fluff.
2. part your hair on the side - to give it even more body, i parted it on the opposite side that i usually part it on - try to make it a really deep side part.
3. take the top quarter of your hair and pin it to the nape of your neck with bobby pins so that it's secure
4. now squeeze all that hair (the upper quarter and the rest of it) into a hair tie, and tighten the hair below the hairtie so that it gives your hair a little more body
5. let the loose little strands around your face go crazy: