16 May, 2009

"and i was made for you"



last may, about 2 weeks before we got engaged

so there's this song that i love called "the story" by brandi carlisle, and i'm pretty sure it was written as an ode to steven for how well he treats me.

there's this one line in it that is specifically true of our relationship

because even when i was flat broke, you made me feel like a million bucks, you do. and i was made for you. 

it completely puts me back to last year at this time: we had NO money - i'm not kidding - both of our checking accounts were negative, credit cards were maxed out, and we were living the meaning of "paycheck to paycheck". i remember steven coming to my apartment to pick something up, and even with his belt sinched to the tightest, his shorts were still almost falling off - he was literally starving. we subsisted on the rice my mom gave us before we left for florida. sometimes we'd go swimming for hours to keep out minds off being hungry so we wouldn't waste any of it. 


you'd think that with us having no food, driving in neutral as often as possible cause we were almost always out of gas,  me having no make up because it had melted in the car (sounds silly, i know, but not having make-up can really hurt one's self-esteem), and the stress of not knowing how we were going to pay for a wedding would have strained our relationship, but those are some of the happiest memories i have. 

because even when i was flat broke, he made me feel like a million bucks, every single day.  but we got through and it was the best summer of my whole life. 

3 comments:

  1. That is one of the sweetest tributes I've ever read. There is NOTHING that makes a parent happier than to see their children happy. Thank you, Steven, for being Brookie's prince.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember those days too. I would put 2 kids in the car with phonebooks in the back as I would run from house to house delivering them or selling Krispy Kreme donuts to make a buck or two on the weekends. I look back on it with fond memories knowing we were doing all we could and still loving each other. I know you guys were meant for each other! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should have swapped rice recipes! And I had a big bag of beans I could have given you a scoop or two of! Oh Florida... good times, good times.... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...